Dear Club and Society Leaders:
Starting June 15, sustaining and life members of The Ohio State University Alumni Association have the opportunity to vote on constitutional changes. We wanted to provide you with details in advance and share the minimal impact proposed updates would have on your alumni club or society.
Pending a successful vote, changes will take effect on January 1, 2022. One of the updates to the constitution would be to broaden Board-approved donor recognition levels by adjusting the current membership descriptions. This will allow us to recognize donors in the following ways:
- Alumni donor – any alumni who give to a university fund in any amount
- Life donor – any alumni who give $150 annually or $10 monthly
- No changes
- Alumni member – all alumni are alumni association members
- Life member – created prior to 2012 and exempt from additional modifications
- Associate member
The potential impact to clubs and societies includes:
- Those alumni groups using a donation-based membership model will need to begin referring to sustaining members as alumni donors who give annually. Sustaining members will no longer exist, so the terminology will need to be sunset.
- Active members will now be defined as those who are life members, life donors and alumni donors.
- Young alumni who could not afford the $75 per year donation, can now be recognized as alumni donors with a gift to any fund or your current use fund in any amount.
- Alumni groups can continue to request a gift of $25 or more to your current use fund for membership in your club or society, which will also make these members alumni donors.
- Instead of promoting dual membership with the old sustaining version, you can now promote life donor membership of $150 annually or $10 monthly to your current use fund.
- We will offer a new template you can use to update your membership page on your website.
- Pending the passing of these changes, you will need to update your constitutions — with language we will provide — by June 30, 2022.
Additional proposed revisions to the constitution include increasing the Student-Alumni Council term to two years; removing references to the President/CEO as secretary of the Board; and revising language to reflect that University Representatives are selected by the University President.
You can access a summary of all changes, a marked version of the constitution representing these edits, a list of FAQs — and cast your vote — on our website at: go.osu.edu/2021alumniassociationvote. Also, contact your REO or Society Liaison if you have any questions.
The voting window is June 15, 2021 through July 15, 2021, and if confirmed, these changes would go into effect January 1, 2022.
We are excited for these proposed changes and hope we can count on your support.
Thank you, and Go Buckeyes!
Craig Little ’84
Director, Alumni Engagement